Going Brand Agnostic April 3, 2016Posted by simarp in : Marketing, Marketing Strategies , add a comment
Over last few years I can see my self turning brand agnostic, it is a very gradual process and not a switch-on-switch-off thing with me. I am discovering value and power of purchase over and above value and power of a brand.
If I wish to wear a fine 100% cotton socks does it mean I need to buy a particular brand? No, I just need to know what I need, specify need and find for least price for my exact need. Works. Saves. Makes me feel happy.
There are at least 100 brands I have strong association with and becoming independent of them is a daunting task, most difficult it is to disassociate wit brand Tata. I have always believed that brand Tata stands for value for money mated to good work ethics and business fairness. This is the brand which is most under test. From cars to tea bags, Brand Tata dominates my spending habit. Tata launches Grand as a brand extension for coffee and there I see myself going for it without looking whether I need coffee or not. That is power of the brand, and that is exactly i wish to turn agnostic to.
More to come…
Advertising in Web 2.0 September 18, 2008Posted by simarprit in : Advertising, Live Blogging, Marketing, Marketing Strategies, Online Advertsing, Web 2.0, Web 2.0 Expo, websites , add a comment
David Kidder is talking about Challenges on Advertising 2.0
- Automating of advertsing has to be multistage
- Analytic Vs. Creative Challenge
- Cost Optimization challenge has moved over to simplicity challenge and time optimization holds the key
- Decision making speed is rewarding
- Semantics hold the key to success
- Execution enabled but strategy focused approach is working
- Unified accounting measurements is mission critical
Panel Discussion Max Kalehoff, Jim Barnett, Mike Kelly and Tim Hanlon
- Forecasting accurately in digital world is a challenge
- Last 10 years have made things complex in advertising space, talking about simplicity is it real….
- Fundamentally machines just cant solve problems’, it is the quality of human resource which would continue making the difference, complex marketing needs would require complex marketing solutions and complex advertising solutions… so there is no easy way out Brands is a billion dollar issue and is bound to be complex, machines or no machines
- Objective of automation is and should be measurement of every single impression, strategic success rests with computing down to each and every impression released in the digital space.
- User experience needs to be measured to add value to any campaign
- Automation of cource leads to transparency, what is working and what is not, you can’t bull any longer. Transparency is what is creating to complexity and data overload
- Inventory is increasing every minute and new options are emerging simultaneously, which is adding to the complexity, at no point you have clue to the whole offering market has to offer
- Performance of fresh inventory available is very unpredictable, transparency is fine but what to do about the performance.
- Business models need simplicity too, complex advertising options for media buyers can create its own challenge
- Driving leads versus driving revenue, driving global traffic versus driving local traffic and linking them together is also a challenge
- Marketers dream is to make automation give a great flexibility, to ease moving around geographies and medias, and mediums
- Creativity can’t be automated, but at the same time the audience complexity and commonality pushes creative team to try it harder
- Advertisers have a choice and they know it, advertising agencies have a challenge in delivering to their expectations
- Interactivity and measurement would also strongly influence success
- Personal relationships have always driven advertising industry and automation doesn’t change that.
- Relationships are not replaceable but restructuring of relationships is bound to happen, better persons and better processes can be the differentiators
- Non premium inventory is growing and piling up, that is something which doesn’t require personal relationships that can be handled by automation very well
- Most of the automation are aimed at publishers making more money out of what they think is required, which maynot mean much to advertiser and marketer and the advertising company.
- There is a big talent gap which has emerged due to the digital challenge, new products in the market need new marketing approach
- Feature obsession may not be helpful, being choosy in mastering features for your own use is important
- Lot of inventory which has no buyers goes in for house ads, ad networks are not yet working to expectations, it may take some more time for action to happen.
The session concluded with couple of unexciting questions…
Reinvention of Marketing the Web 2.0 Way September 17, 2008Posted by simarprit in : Blogging, Business, Education, Internet, Marketing, Marketing Strategies, Web 2.0, Web 2.0 Expo, websites , add a comment
Brian Solis on Web 2.0 and its role in PR and Marketing, my 2 cents are all over (Brian may or may not agree)
- Customers are moving online, PR and Marketing needs to move beyond 1.0 which it looks like it is stuck in’
- Are you an influencer, or do you know influencers, bloggers are influencers and they are at it
- Perception is important and social web has a role in how you are looked at
- Defining and measuring influence can help in decision making
- Are you everywhere… Traditional media, Events online and offline, New Influencers, Social Networks, Blogs and Comments, Forums, Content Creation & Curation
- Composite strategy can work for you, all encompassing approach to PR and Marketing would help
- Engagement is important in PR now, not just a look or a hit.
- You need to be hybrid PR professional in today’s world
- A PR professional needs to be all it takes he has to be octopus
- PR today all about Public
- A PR professional needs to be participative a good Press Release may not lead to anything
- Common Sense rules the day
- Rules of PR are influenced by rules of Blogging, which has no rules
- Relationship of trust with a lot of guys
- Be incremental in approach, keep sharing and communicating as you go on, let the story build up fast enough
- WOMM (Word of Mouth Marketing) is what every thing leads to.
- PR today has to be organization wide
- Are you everywhere, exclude none
- Do you know where-ever you are, you just have to be everywhere. Look at all of the key networks and measure your performance on all active networks
- Become a resource for people
- Participation is the key and not initiation
- Web Analytics holds the key to how you are doing
- Creating special landing pages for your various activities can help
- Quantification and tying the activity to sales helps
- WEB 2.0 is not frozen, there is a lot more to come so keep learning
- You are the brand you project
- Some resources – Future-works, SocialMediaClub, sncr.org, nowisgone
Viral Marketing – Web 2.0 Expo September 17, 2008Posted by simarprit in : 'Viral Marketing, Blogging, Internet, Marketing Strategies, Web 2.0, Web 2.0 Expo, websites , 1 comment so far
Random thoughts and Gyan on Essentials of Viral Marketing
- Jonah Peretti has begun with the mess which is Web 2.0 everyone talks to everyone, something like a confernce without a moderator.
- Are you part of the network whch networks, are you in a position to initiate a viral. Network structure make a difference to whether your viral spreads or not…. Your network would determine whether you can start a forest fire.
- Influential people become the key factor to success..
- If it is a tree without a stem, so my question how would it gain height.
- People don’t know what they like, thy like to look around and like what others are doing, how can you cash this sentiment.
- Contagious Media – Make something which people would love to share.
- Accidental virals do good, so make accidents happen.
- Half the time in office is spent on blogging, IM, Skype etc..
- Bored at Work Network (BWN) can create an expert out of anyone, can you leverage it..
- Seed your viral with big number start big, you would reach somewhere even if you fail. LoL Jonah is calling it Big Seed Marketing
- Seed to extra ratio can help….
- Multi Seed Marketing, plant many tree, some may bear fruit…. live measurement can be a way to lookafter the seed which is reacting and becoming a tree. Multi-Seed is an option when you are sure that you are not sure what will work. So you can always remove the bad seeds and grow the ones which work.
- Mullet Strategy, Business upfront, party in the back….Add, edit, test, tweak, optimize, be alive — be live and remember to remove it if it is not working
- Histrionic works, try it alongside
- Cartoons work, look at using them effectively….
- Have focused growth strategy, obsession with quality can be additional baggage, Make what people would love.